Check Out These Outrageous Child Support Payments
Do you think that you are paying a lot in Child Support? Take a look at these!
Many parents who pay child support feel the amount they pay is excessive. The rich and famous are just like everyone else when it comes to child support, and face contemptuous litigation over how much support should be paid. Here are some famous examples of extravagant child support cases.
- Alex Rodriguez- The former New York Yankee famously paid his ex-wife Cynthia Scurtis $115,000 per month in support payments. Rodriguez petitioned to reduce his support payments in 2018 as his income decreased after retiring from the MLB. Based on the ring he proposed to current partner Jennifer Lopez with, fans have no need to worry about the state of Rodriguez’s finances.
- Brendan Fraser- The actor served a brief stint as Hollywood’s go-to leading man, with films like The Mummy and George of the Jungle. He was initially ordered to pay ex-wife Afton Smith $75,000 per month, but sought to reduce payments as his career began to wane. Smith countered by alleging that Fraser was hiding more than $9 million in assets.
- Britney Spears- America’s pop princess had two sons with backup dancer Kevin Federline. The couple divorced in 2007, and Spears had to pay $110,000 for Federline’s legal fees, as well as $20,000 per month in child support. Federline successfully petitioned for an increase in 2019 while Spears had a residency on the Las Vegas strip.
- Charlie Sheen- At one point, the Two and a Half Men actor was paying $110,000 per month in child support, but to two different women. Ex-wives Brooke Mueller and Denise Richards were each receiving $55,000 per month, but Richards later agreed to a reduction to $22,000 per month.
- Francois-Henri Pinault- This mogul owns fashion brands like Gucci and Yves St. Laurent. Supermodel ex-wife Linda Evangelista originally requested $46,000 per month in child support to raise their son Augie, and the couple allegedly settled at a number close to her asking price. Pinault is now married to Salma Hayek, and the two have a daughter together.
- Mel Gibson- The Braveheart and The Passion of the Christ star has one child with ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva. Support payments for their child were $20,000 per month, but Grigorieva still filed bankruptcy in 2014.
- Sean Combs- Sean P. Diddy Puff Daddy Combs pays ex-wife Kim Porter $20,000 per month for their son Christian. While this represents only a small portion of his net worth, his child support order continues until Christian is 21, instead of 18 as with most child support orders.
- Eddie Murphy- The comedian with a resume including Shrek and The Nutty Professor had to take a paternity test before being ordered to pay $50,000 per month to former Spice Girl Mel B.
- Tom Cruise- This actor is almost as famous for his practice of Scientology as he is for blockbusters like Top Gun and Mission Impossible. He probably wasn’t jumping on any couches when he was ordered to pay $33,000 per month to ex-wife Katie Holmes to support their daughter Suri. Cruise is also responsible for Suri’s expenses such as medical, dental, educational, etc.
- Halle Berry- The Academy Award winning actress shares a daughter, Nahla, with ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry. They allegedly had a bitter battle for reaching an arrangement of Berry paying Aubry $16,000 per month.
- Blake Griffin- The basketball player made headlines when it was erroneously reported that he pays ex Brynn Cameron $258,000 per month in child support for their two shared children. That later was later revealed to be a much more reasonable, yet still shockingly expensive, $32,000 per month.
- Paul McCartney- At first glance, it may seem surprising that the former Beatle paid ex-wife Heather Mills only $6,000 per month in child support. However, McCartney is responsible for the costs of a live-in nanny and private school education, and paid Mills $50 million in their divorce settlement.
- Kirk Kerkorian- The late mogul owned the MGM Resort, which warranted child support payments of $100,000 per month to his ex-wife.
If you have children and are considering filing for divorce, you will likely be dealing with child support payments on a much smaller scale. Just because you are unlikely to be ordered tens of thousands of dollars per month in child support doesn’t mean that you don’t need an expert attorney representing you. Call today for your free consultation. One of our experienced family law attorneys will help you calculate your potential payments, and guide through any issues specific to your case. We offer our free consultations over the phone, so you can learn your rights from the comfort and privacy of your own home.