Q: I am wanting information on relocation from Arizona to Ohio with my 8 month year old daughter, after splitting from her father?

We are splitting up, not married, have an 8 month old daughter here in AZ, but neither of us has family here. My family lives in Ohio, where I would like to move to gain additional support, and his family lives in CT, where he has no desire to be. He has agreed that I would be primary caregiver for our daughter, with him seeing her every other weekend.

A: You are able to move to Ohio prior to filing anything with the court. Once you have filed something with the court, it will be up to the judge to decide if it is in the best interest of the child to move the child out of Arizona (away from the Father) to Ohio. Even though you may gain additional support by moving, it will be up to the judge to determine if that move is what is ultimately best for the child.

I would suggest that you seek the assistance of an experienced Arizona family law attorney prior to any sort of relocating. It is better to cover your bases and make the best decision prior to any move. Many family attorneys offer free consultations in which you can get your questions answered and can formulate a game plan that will be the best for all parties involved.

Answered by:

Re-Published from: AVVO Legal Answers and Questions